57 Shares

A pop of green is often just the thing needed to brighten up a room and bring a sense of life into the home. When you have pets, though, you may need to think twice about the foliage you choose in your decor. Some plants can be hazardous to pets, and others are downright dangerous. 

Before you choose to redecorate, let your friendly veterinary staff at Conrad Weiser Animal Hospital shed a little light on which toxic plants to steer clear of, and which get a green light from us.

Toxic Plants and Pets Don’t Mix

Any time to bring a new plant into a pet-loving home, it is best to know exactly what it is. That mystery flower from your great Aunt? Best to leave it at the office if you aren’t sure as to its identity. Knowing what plants you have in your home and what problems they might present to a curious pet is key.

There are some toxic plants that are absolute no-nos in a household with four-legged family members. These include:

  • Lilies (most lilies can cause fatal kidney failure for cats)
  • Golden pothos (Devil’s ivy ingestion can cause vomiting and severe oral pain and irritation)
  • Sago palm (Ingestion of any part of the plant can cause severe digestive upset and liver failure)
  • Caladium (Elephant Ear plants can cause swelling and oral pain)
  • English Ivy (Ingestion can cause weakness, digestive upset, and breathing trouble while contact with the leaves can lead to swelling, itching, and a rash; consider that the leaves tend to trail, making them easier to access even when high)
  • Cyclamen (this flowering plant can cause digestive upset when eaten)
  • Snake plant (can cause digestive upset if ingested)

Most plants, when ingested, can cause at least mild digestive upset or oral irritation. It is always best to keep your green decor out of reach of curious pets. 

Pet-Friendly Houseplants

Just because some greenery can cause trouble doesn’t mean that you have to choose between pets and plants, though. Having plants in the home can actually create a healthier environment and air quality for your family. 

When it comes to choosing pet-friendly houseplants, consider the following:

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested any plant, or if you are worried that they may have been exposed to a toxic plant, it is best to call us right away. Quick action in a pet emergency can make all the difference in the world!